Although there are many other options available such as dentures, bridges and crowns, dental implants are the most modern and efficient option. Dental implants are comfortable and have the appearance of natural teeth. They also serve the same functions as natural teeth in that they allow the wearer to eat and speak clearly, and they give the jawbone support to keep the facial structure strong.
During the consultation, your doctor will evaluate the mouth and help decide the best dental implant option for his patient’s personal situation. If you have any of the following conditions, make sure you mention this to your doctor during your consultation:
• If you already have bridges or dentures, your doctor can use dental implants to reinforce or replace this existing dental work.
• If your teeth have been missing for a long time, you may need a bone grafting procedure to replace deteriorated jawbone before your doctor can place dental implants.
• If you have any existing medical conditions, be sure to inform your doctor. If your condition doesn’t prevent you from receiving typical dental work, then it shouldn’t make a difference for your dental implant surgery.
• If you have been diagnosed with gum disease, this can affect the success of a dental implant. Talk to your doctor if you have moderate to severe gum disease, and he may require treatment of that before he places your dental implants.
• If you’re a smoker, discuss with your doctor how often you smoke. Smoking can affect the success of implants, and has a huge impact on your dental health.
Call your doctor today and schedule an appointment to find out if you are a candidate for dental implants!